Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Term Paper


For my report I chose topic A: RESEARCH. Pick a new media technology to research (see below, also many of them are linked to from our Blackboard course site). Discuss from multiple perspectives, e.g.: economic perspective; sociological perspective; technological perspective; moral, anthropological, educational, etc. You do not have to use all these perspectives, but you must use SEVERAL.
I chose to specifically use Facebook as my new media technology and discuss the economic, technological, sociological and moral perspectives on it. At first I read through various class readings to develop a sense of what the course was suggesting about the topics. From there, I developed my own questions such as; what is social capital? How is Facebook actually moral or amoral? How has the economy been affected since its inception? Has the sociological impact really affected our culture and society?
So I began to search the web, which led me to several scholarly articles, journals and reports. I took what I could draw from most of them and stated their facts. From there I drew my own conclusions about each perspective and felt that my outcome was a positive one. I really enjoyed this assignment because it enabled me to do some in depth research on a website I frequent quite often. It allowed me to understand the various components that make this website one of the worlds most popular and important in today’s society. The information that stuck with me the most is that jobs and commerce has nearly tripled due to the direct and indirect activity of Facebook. I have gained a new appreciation for this site and will continue to use at it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment